Saturday, December 16, 2006

Is the Christmas Knitting over with yet?


I am tired of knitting Christmas gifts. I want to knit for me - literally for me. I want new socks, a sweater, a hat, and the calm that eases my spirit when I knit what I want when I want. I am tired of knitting Christmas gifts.

There! I just needed to vent and now it's almost better. Truthfully, I could finish the other thrummed mitten (and maybe I will) and that would be the end of my Christmas knitting OR I could just give a different hand made knitted gift that is already finished and just sitting on the shelf sans owner(and maybe I will). Truth be told, the mitten didn't take that long to make, it was the thrums that took so long. They are borrrriiing!

Sometime ago I made a hat which called for an I-cord bind off. I have used this method to bind off felted bags and thought it was pretty cool. I think it made the edging a little floppy in this case and I considered taking it off and just binding it in normal fashion. Then my youngest son tried it on and it fit alright...it looked ok...so it remained. This hat will go into a box headed for ____. What? You thought I'd slip and give the secret away?

The Rockin' Sock Club will be starting up soon and I am geeked up. An article in one of my current knitting magazines said it filled up wicked-fast and had a loooong waiting list*note - actual facts unavailable due to inability to actually find the article. I'm in - I signed up very early.



As if the sock club wasn't enough? I have doubled my pleasure with beginning the Briar Rose Knit-Along. Talk about being geeked up, I have been so excited that I can hardly contain myself. The only real rule is, you need to use a Briar Rose fiber! You can choose any pattern and it would be lovely to see your posted photos. No deadline, no pressure, just good clean knitting fun. And, if that didn't grab your attention, get this...Chris has decided to have periodic yarn give aways. My jaw dropped and my mouth watered when I saw the picture she posted a few days ago...3 skeins of Sonoma? Oh, be still my heart! I want that yarn! Actually, I am not eligible to win it so, that means another knitter who chooses to knit-along will get 3 whole skeins of Sonoma. I will enjoy it vicariously through the winner. We aren't actually beginning until mid-January, so you still have time to join up and cast-on. Who knows, you may be the recipient of that fabulous yarn.

5 comments:

Kristy said...

Ok ok. I'm in for the knitalong. I could resist the temptation. Sign me up! :)

Anonymous said...

please sign me up.... I have never knitted along, so please help me.....

Kristy said...

Couldn't. I couldn't resist the temptation. I'm assuming you knew what I meant.

Anonymous said...

Okay, I'm in! C'mon, Fiber Guru! It'll be fun, fun, fun! Love at Christmas, SB

Anonymous said...

Love the mittens. I'm planning on making some for a Canadian friend soon :)