Sunday, April 15, 2007

A lacey tank, birthday surprise, and my mother-in-law



My late mother-in-law could grow African violets like there was no tomorrow. I was blessed with a green thumb, but those blessings failed me where these fickle flowers were concerned. Shortly after my mother-in-law passed away, we moved to Michigan. While shopping for the new house necessities, I passed the plant department and was drawn toward a tiny African violet plant. I immediately picked it up, added it to the cart, and took it home with me. It was named 'Maxine' after my husband's mother. For three years, Maxine thrived and honored me with blooms aplenty until the day came when she needed to be moved to a bigger pot. Six months passed and I continued to care for Maxine, but she didn't bloom. Recently, I spied sprouts and have been patiently waiting to share her blooming beauty. I feel like I've been blessed with a visit from a long - missed friend!



Bugg's tea rose tank is finished. She won't stay still long enough for a photo, so here is a shot of it by itself -- It is adapted from the Tea Rose Halter in Interweave Knits Summer 2007. It knit up quickly single-stranded on size 11 and 13 needles. I used Blue Sky Alpaca cotton. Bugg really likes this tank and she is pretty picky! Better pictures coming soon.


How much more loved could I feel? My dad went shopping for my birthday present...no joke - my dad found The Craft of Cable Stitch Knitting by Barbara Walker! What more could a knittin' girl want? My dad is the best and he supports my obsession even if he doesn't understand it - I feel like the luckiest girl in the world!

No comments: